County Commission approves neighborhood grant awards | News
Sarasota, Florida -- The Sarasota County Commission announced it recently awarded $97,000 in matching grant funds to 18 neighborhoods, including two ad hoc groups that applied for the latest round of neighborhood grants.
The grants are matched with cash, donations and/or volunteer hours. The total match exceeded the 50% requirement, with neighbors contributing $52,098.61 in cash, 52,215 volunteer hours, and $15,452.20 in material donations.
Grants were awarded to:
- Beach Manor Villas South, Venice
- Bee Ridge Growers Community Garden , Sarasota
- Bird Bay Condominium Association, Venice
- Bridle Oaks Homeowner's Association, Venice
- Calusa Lakes Community Association, Nokomis
- Cypress Falls at the Woodlands, North Port
- Englewood Community Garden, Englewood
- Granada Neighborhood Association, Sarasota
- Gulf Beach Owner's Association, Sarasota
- Indian Beach Sapphire Shores Neighborhood Association, Sarasota
- Mockingbird Place Homeowner's Association, Sarasota
- Palmer Square West Condominium, Sarasota
- Quail Lake Homeowner's Association, Venice
- Rollins Pond Estates Homeowner's Association, Sarasota
- Summer Green Condominium Association, Venice
- Valencia Lakes Owner's Association, Venice
- Venetian Park Estates, Sarasota
- Village at Riverwalk, North Port
Projects included disaster preparedness, stormwater pond enhancements, Florida Friendly landscaping, entrance signage, invasive exotic plant removal and community gardens.
In its 10th year, the Neighborhood Grant Program supports the county's initiative to preserve and enhance the quality of life in neighborhoods. There are two grant cycles per year and grants are awarded for projects that provide a public benefit to their community as well as the entire county, and improve safety, preserve character and value, build neighborhood leadership or enhance physical or environmental health.
Orientation workshops to teach residents how to apply for a grant are scheduled Aug. 28 through Oct. 5. The workshops are two hours in length and attendance is required to submit a grant application. The next due date for grant applications is November 5, 2012.
For more information, contact the Sarasota County Call Center at 941-861-5000, or visit www.scgov.net.
Info courtesy Sarasota County Government.